BIH Workshop FEMALE CAREER@BIH (in English): Networking
This workshop targets female PhD students, Post-doctoral fellows and clinicians who wish to improve their networking skills, sharpen their personal profile and work out individual core skills in the field of networking.
Workshop Contents and Goals
Networking is talking with people who can help you explore career options and goals. It is the best way to develop relationships and gain information that will be helpful in your career.
Why should you do it?
It is the most effective job search method! Studies show that 70% to 80% of key positions inside and outside of academia are found through some form of networking. In order to be able to operate successfully, good contacts are often helpful both to the people you are helping, as well as to relevant PIs, collaborators and colleagues. This network of grown relationships offers professional support, advice and information in your daily work. The right internal and external network contacts and collaborations can facilitate work processes, additionally, by encouraging and motivating you. In short: a functioning and vital network can increase joy and satisfaction at your job.
A prerequisite for successful networking is an appropriate balance between giving and taking. Therefore, a clear objective is necessary. The best contacts are worthless if you are not sure for which purpose you need your contacts. On the other hand, your counterpart should be clear about the benefits s/he would receive from cooperating with you. The clearer these benefits and targets are defined; the more direct a contact person is able to respond to your concern, offer information or make relevant suggestions. Such a joined experience may become a starting point for further cooperation.
In this workshop, you will
- visualize your current network
- understand the relevance of self-marketing & networking in relation to your own professional and personal development.
- sharpen your personal profile and work out your individual core skills in the field of networking supported by self-reflection and feedback.
- learn how to increase your visibility.
- get differentiated and hands-on suggestions for a strategic networking approach.
- gain more confidence for your future networking activities.
- The importance of a clear profile as a professional success factor
- Networking: Definition (basic attitude, conditions and rules)
- Specific benefits of networking in the professional context
- Network personalities: How do I network? What does confidence and authenticity mean to me?
- Self-presentation & feedback
- Networks: Etiquette, contact building and management, communication, boundaries, network levels (social networks, business networks, virtual and physical networks, etc.)
- Gender differences
- Further development of individual network activities
Introduction of Workshop Trainer Silke Oehrlein-Karpi
Dr. Silke Oehrlein-Karpi has been working as a coach and a trainer for scientists since 2008. Before becoming a coach, she led a project group for the Collaborative Research Centre 490 in Mainz. During those 10 years she worked as a biologist in the field of medical basic research and gained a lot of experience in setting up and successfully leading scientific projects. In terms of her current work, she uses her “insider knowledge” from her time in academia combined with her resource-oriented and diversity-related coaching perspective on individuals. She is a member of the Coachingnetz Wissenschaft e.V. Her group coaching workshops inspire, motivate and empower the participants in order to improve their self-efficacy regarding upcoming work situations and projects.
This event was initiated by the BIH Equal Opportunity Unit and is part of the program FEMALE CAREER@BIH.