Berlin Health Innovations
Call for Applications:
BIH Digital Health Accelerator Program 2019
BRING YOUR DIGITAL HEALTH INNOVATION TO PATIENTS
by Bridging the Gap between Research and Medical Application
Dear Digital Health Innovators at BIH, Charité and MDC:
Are you ambitious to bring your digital health solution to patients?
Benefit from our resources, expertise and network supporting you in all aspects of building, validating and launching your innovation - be it via start-up, licence or industry cooperation.
Turn your concept into reality for the benefit of patients and society.
Berlin Health Innovations, the joint technology transfer office of the Berlin Institute of Health and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, is now accepting applications for the 2019 Digital Health Accelerator program.
The objective of the Digital Health Accelerator is to provide end-to-end, hands-on support to innovators at BIH, Charité and MDC in translating research results and discoveries in the area of digital health into medical applications to improve patient outcomes and optimize healthcare costs.
The program is structured into 2 stages:
Stage 1: Rapid Prototype Development (2019)
- Phase 1 (March-May): Selection process (written application, project deep dive, pitch day)
- Phase 2 (June-July): Program set-up (administration/logistics)
- Phase 3 (August-November): Preparatory courses, core acceleration phase of stage 1
- Demo Day (late November): Presentation event with politicians, life science/healthcare industry, investors, and other key innovation ecosystem partners.
Stage 2: Product/Start-up Development up to Launch (2020-tbd)
- Phase 1 (January 2020-tbd): Program structure and timeline are project-specific (e.g., product and business model development, clinical validation, certification, funding acquisition, preparation of license/industry cooperation/start-up formation)
- Program Completion (tbd): Reach of milestone agreement-based project objectives, or project termination, or license/industry cooperation/start-up formation.
For further information see BIH DHA Program Information Guide
- Flexible Funding:
We believe in the principle of “Smart Money”, i.e., flexible financial support to account for each project’s specific priority needs at the time of the program. Funding can be used towards material costs incl. service providers, investment costs, and personnel costs (Sachkosten inkl. Dienstleistungen, Investitions- und Personalkosten). Each team can receive funding and services amounting up to a six-digit amount in program stage 1. For program stage 2, additional, project-specific funding and services are provided.
- "Protected Time" for Participants with Clinic Obligations:
To help ensure sufficient time to work on your innovation, and as applicable, the program offers “protected time” of up to 50 percent for up to two key team members during the stage 1 core acceleration phase (August-November 2019).
- Expert Mentoring:
Teams in the program will have free access to general and individual sessions specific to their needs by internal and external mentors, e.g., industry experts, product developers, coders, designers, market researchers, legal and regulatory experts, financial experts, and communication professionals for pitch training.
- Free Co-working Space at BIH:
Program location is the BIH head office at Anna-Louisa-Karsch-Str. 2, 10178 Berlin, centrally located near Hackescher Markt. Join this innovation community for seamless access to coaches and mentors, benefit from synergies with fellow teams, and get in touch with alumni of last years’ programs for guidance.
Eligibility: Eligible for the program are faculty and staff of BIH, Charité, and MDC, e.g., clinicians, scientists, graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers. As BIH seeks to maximize the diversity of its funding programs, women scientists/clinicians, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups are especially encouraged to apply.
For information on project requirements and selection criteria see BIH DHA Program Information Guide
Application Process for Stage 1
The application process for the Digital Health Accelerator Stage 1 is structured into three steps:
Step 1: Written Application
- To apply, please refer to the BIH DHA Program Information Guide
- Complete the application documents (application form, optional application for protected time, signature page). Note: In cases where the applicant is not the PI, the principal investigator (Arbeitsgruppenleiter/in bzw. Kostenstelleninhaber/in) needs to co-sign.
Email complete application documents prior to the application deadline (March 15, 2019, 1:00 pm CET) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Project Deep Dive with Interdisciplinary Experts
- Selected projects will be invited to a Project Deep Dive based on the application documents in an in-person meeting with an interdisciplinary group of experts (incl. medical/clinic, technology, IP, legal/regulatory, business) (March 26-28, 2019).
Step 3: Pitch Day with External Selection Committee
- Selected projects will then be invited to a Pitch Day to present their projects to a selection committee of external experts (May 21-23, 2019).