AG Emmert: Translational Cardiovascular Regenerative Technologies
The concept of regenerative approaches comprising of cell-based therapies and cardiovascular tissue engineering technologies and hybrid solutions represents a promising, next generation approach to treat cardiovascular diseases. In our interdisciplinary group we particularly aim on the clinical translation of novel cardiovascular regenerative technologies with the main focus on preclinical development (i.e. large animal models) targeting the following research areas:
- Cardiovascular tissue and bioengineering for congenital and structural heart repair
- Cell based and cell free approaches for cardiac protection, repair and regeneration
- Delivery strategies and formats to enhance cardiac regeneration
- Translational large animal cardiovascular models
- Organoid technologies for in-vitro disease modeling
- Targeting ischemia-reperfusion injury and tissue remodeling
- Fioretta ES, Motta SE, Lintas V, Loerakker S, Parker KK, Baaijens FPT, Falk V, Hoerstrup SP, Emmert MY. Next generation heart valve replacements with repair, remodelling and regeneration capacity. Nature Rev Cardiology. 2020, in press.
- Fioretta ES, Lintas V, Mallone A, Motta SE, von Boehmer L, Dijkman PE, Cesarovic N, Caliskan E, Cetina Biefer HR, Lipiski M, Sauer M, Putti M, Janssen HM, Söntjens SH, Smits A Bouten CVC, Hoerstrup SP*, Emmert MY*. Differential leaflet remodeling of bone marrow cell pre-seeded versus non-seeded bioresorbable transcatheter pulmonary valve replacements. JACC Basic Translational Research 2019, in press.
- Wolint P, Bopp A, Woloszyk A, Tian Y, Evrova O, Hilbe M, Giovanoli P, Calcagni M, Hoerstrup SP, Buschmann J, Emmert MY. Cellular self-assembly into 3D microtissues enhances the angiogenic activity and functional neovascularization capacity of human cardiopoietic stem cells. Angiogenesis. 2019 Feb;22(1):37-52.
- Emmert MY, Schmitt BA, Loerakker S, Sanders B, Spriestersbach H, Fioretta ES, Bruder L, Brakmann K, Motta SE, Lintas V, Dijkman PE, Frese L, Berger F, Baaijens FPT, Hoerstrup SP. Computational modeling guides tissue-engineered heart valve design for long-term in vivo performance in a translational sheep model. Science Translational Medicine. 2018 May 9;10(440).
- Emmert MY, Wolint P, Jakab A, Sheehy SP, Pasqualini FS, Nguyen TDL, Hilbe M, Seifert B, Weber B, Brokopp CE, Macejovska D, Caliskan E, von Eckardstein A, Schwartlander R, Vogel V, Falk V, Parker KK, Gyöngyösi M, Hoerstrup SP. Safety and efficacy of cardiopoietic stem cells in the treatment of post-infarction left-ventricular dysfunction – from cardio-protection to functional repair in a translational pig infarction model. Biomaterials. 2017 Apr;122:48-62.
- Emmert MY*, Driessen-Mol A*, Dijkman PE*, Frese L, Sanders B, Weber B, Cesarovic N, Sidler M, Leenders J, Jenni R, Grünenfelder J, Falk V, Baaijens FP, Hoerstrup SP. Transcatheter implantation of homologous "off-the-shelf" tissue engineered heart valves with self-repair capacity: long term functionality and rapid in vivo remodeling in sheep. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Apr 8;63(13):1320-9
Prof. Dr. Dr. med. M. Emmert, Head of Group
Dr. med. E. Caliskan, Research Fellow
Dr. med. vet. N. Cesarovic, Senior Scientist
V. Exarchos, Doctoral Student
M. Ghoneim, Research Associate
K. Krüger, Lab Technician
H. Meyborg, Lab Manager
Dr. med. T. Z. Nazari-Shafti, Junior Group Leader
A. Paun, Doctoral Student
PD. Dr. med. H. Rodriguez, Senior Scientist
- Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
- Wyss Zurich, ETH and University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
- Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, Boston, US
- School of Applied Engineering, Harvard University, Cambridge, US
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, United States
- Technical University Eindhoven (TUE), Eindhoven, The Netherlands