BIH Excellence Award for Sex and Gender Aspects in Health Research
Diese Seite ist nur auf Englisch verfügbar.
BIH in cooperation with the Institute of Gender in Medicine (GiM) announces the “BIH Excellence Award for Sex and Gender Aspects in Health Research”. The award aims to bring more visibility to sex and gender issues in translational research. It recognizes research excellence among renowned scientists working in the field of basic and/or clinical biomedical research with a focus on sex and gender aspects.
To be eligible for participation in this competition, applicants must:
- be a renowned scientist in the field of basic or clinical biomedical research
- have made significant contributions to translational research with high relevance to the mission and strategy of BIH
- have a focus on sex and gender aspects in their research, which means, that sex and/or gender must be an integral aspect of the applicant’s research approach and design
- develop and provide a concise research program proposal for a visiting fellowship in Berlin that is of strategic relevance to BIH and has a focus on sex and/or gender aspects in research
How to Apply
Applications for the BIH Award must be submitted electronically via the BIH application portal at https://portal.bihealth.de/portal/SitePages/Portal.aspx(We are sorry to announce that we have technical problems with the portal at the moment, but it should work within the next days; the latest Thursday July 20, 2017).
The application deadline is October 15, 2017
Please provide the following documents as a single PDF upload:
- CV including the 5–10 most important publications
- Motivation letter describing your achievements and the impact of those achievements in the field of translational research with a focus on sex and gender aspects
- Exposé of the planned cooperation with scientists in Berlin and the planned research program
- 2 reference letters
The evaluation committee for the award is composed of internationally recognized experts in Gender Medicine and will meet in November.
The winner of the award will receive 20.000€ for use on future research activities with a focus on sex and/or gender aspects.
Furthermore, BIH wants to bring laureates’ expertise to Berlin with the aim to connect them personally within the BIH Translational Research Commons. For this reason, BIH may nominate laureates as an Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow or BIH Visiting Professor to the Charité Foundation, if applicable.
For more information concerning the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellowship and the BIH Visiting Professor please visit http://www.stiftung-charite.de/en/funding/private-excellence-initiative-johanna-quandt/einstein-bih-visiting-fellows.html and http://www.stiftung-charite.de/en/funding/private-excellence-initiative-johanna-quandt/bih-visiting-professors.html
The funding decision for Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow or BIH Visiting Professor is taken by the Academic Advisory Council of the Private Excellence Initiative Johanna Quandt.
Review Process and Evaluation:
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- demonstrated excellence in translational research integrating a sex/gender dimension (applicants track record of academic achievement, contribution to research and teaching, publications, leadership)
- real or potential impact of the applicant’s research within the field of translational research (e.g. novel findings, methodological innovations, theoretical advancements) with a focus on sex and gender
- presentation of a promising research program proposal as a cooperation of the applicant and the BIH network in Berlin with the aim to stimulate long-term collaborative projects between the laureate, his/her home institution and the BIH
The evaluation committee for the award is composed of internationally recognized experts in Gender Medicine and will meet in November. The award ceremony will take place at the BIH symposium (March 16, 2018). If the selected candidate is applicable for a Visiting Fellowship, we will nominate him/her to the Charité Foundation. The application for the Visiting Fellowship has to be submitted until January 15, 2018 (Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow) or February 28, 2018 (BIH Visiting Professor).