Dear Digital Health Innovators and Entrepreneurs at Charité, MDC and BIH:
Do you want to truly drive your digital health innovation forward? Do you want to benefit from a professional support system including coaching and mentoring by seasoned experts, a co-working space with a community of fellow innovators, and funding to help you develop your patient/customer-centric solution?
Berlin Health Innovations (BHI), the joint technology transfer unit of the Berlin Institute of Health and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, is now accepting applications for its BHI Digital Health Accelerator Program 2018.
Our goal is to help you drive the translation of your digital health innovation from research into medical application/market, e.g., via licensing, sale or spin-off, for the benefit of patients and society.
This program complements other BHI programs by providing hands-on support in the space of digital health.
- Phase 1 (June–July): Logistics, team completion and onboarding, identification of coaching/mentoring needs
- Phase 2 (late August): Preparatory courses
- Phase 3 (September–November): Acceleration phase
- Demo Day (early December): Presentation event with industry, investors, and other key innovation ecosystem partners.
- Expert Coaching and Mentoring: Teams in the program will have free access to general and individual sessions specific to their needs by internal and external coaches and mentors, e.g., product developers, coders, designers, market researchers, lawyers and other regulatory experts, investors for business model/business case development, entrepreneurs for peer advice, and communication professionals for pitch training.
- Co-working Space: Program location is the BIH/BHI head office at Anna-Louisa-Karsch-Str. 2, 10178 Berlin, centrally located near Hackescher Markt. Join this innovation community for seamless access to mentors and coaches, benefit from synergies with the other interdisciplinary teams in the program, and get in touch with alumni of last year’s program for guidance.
- Funding: We believe in the principle of “Smart Money”, i.e., flexible financial support to account for individual teams’ specific priority needs at the time of the program. Funding can be used towards material costs incl. service providers, investment costs and personnel costs (Sachkosten inkl. Dienstleistungen, Investitions- und Personalkosten). To help ensure sufficient time to work on your solution, and as applicable, the program offers “protected time” of up to 50 percent for up to two key team members during the core Acceleration phase (September–November 2018).
In total, each team can receive services and other benefits amounting to a six-digit figure.
- Eligibility: The BHI Digital Health Accelerator Program 2018 is targeting innovation teams of faculty and staff of Charité, MDC and BIH, e.g., clinicians, scientists, post-doctoral researchers, and graduate students. As BIH/BHI seeks to maximize the diversity of its funding programs, women scientists/clinicians, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Project Requirements: The Digital Health Accelerator program supports Digital Health projects in any medical specialty. The following project requirements apply:
- Projects must make use of digital technologies such as AR/MR/VR, cloud, data/ML/AI, mobile, sensors, etc.
- Projects must be of translational character, i.e., aim at the commercialization of a solution into medical application/ market. Basic research projects (DFG-like) are NOT eligible
- In general, teams need to be physically present in the co-working space for the majority of work time to benefit from the community of peers and supporters ensure focused work.
- Selection Criteria: Project selection criteria are as follows:
- Significance of addressed unmet medical need/pain point
- Attractiveness of target market
- Uniqueness/key differentiators of solution
- Technology readiness level/solution maturity
- Feasibility of development path (technology, regulatory, costs, time) to market
- Regulatory/IP situation
- Commercial potential
- Entrepreneurial team.
How to apply
Application Process: To apply, please visit the program website www.bihealth.org/de/aktuell/bhi-dha-2018/.
- Please complete the application form including signature page and application for protected time (optional) from the program website (in cases where the applicant is not the PI, the PI/ Kostenstelleninhaber/in needs to co-sign)
- Email all relevant documents prior to the application deadline (April 11, 2018, 3:00 PM) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected applicants will be invited in early May to participate in a Pitch Day in late May to present their proposals to a panel of external experts (exact dates will be announced in due time)
- Program invitations are scheduled for late May/early June 2018.
We look forward to hearing from you!