The Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) and Berlin Health Innovations (BHI) – the joint technology transfer office (TTO) of the BIH and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin (Charité) – together with SPARK-Berlin are pleased to announce their second call for proposals.
The funding program supports the development of novel therapeutics (small molecule or biologic), medical devices, diagnostics and digital solutions for unmet medical needs, as well as repurposing of existing drugs for new indications. For digital health projects, the Validation Fund/SPARK-BIH works closely with the BIH Digital Health Accelerator (development of digital health prototypes and digital health products). Any clinical indication will be considered.
Scientists and Clinicians from BIH, Charité and MDC are eligible
- Do you want to validate your research findings with the goal of translating these into therapies, products or services?
- Do you work on a new technology, therapy or medical solution with clinical potential, but the developmental know-how is lacking?
- We offer funding and mentoring to de-risk projects with high potential impact, addressing critical unmet medical needs for any indication.
- Selected projects become part of the SPARK Berlin program.
- We help you to establish Intellectual Property and to learn what translation is all about.
Program Overview: Budget and Duration
The funding program consists of two different tracks.
Track 1 projects are usually earlier in the development timeline and track 1 funding covers projects with a budget of up to 50K EUR for one year (see 'Guide for Applicants - Track 1').
Track 2 projects are further along the development timeline and must meet strict requirements regarding intellectual property rights and market access strategies. Funding covers projects with a financial need of more than 50K EUR for up to two years. (see 'Guide for Applicants - Track 2').
Project funding is strictly milestone-based. If it is determined at any point that the project goals cannot be met anymore, the funding will be terminated.
- All applicants who are unsure whether their project is suitable for this funding program are encouraged to contact the Validation Fund/SPARK-BIH team before submitting a proposal to ensure that their project meets the requirements of the call.
- The BIH seeks to increase the diversity of its funding programs. Women, individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, as well as individuals with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply for BIH programs.
Selection Procedure Timeline
- To apply, please submit your Track 1 /Track 2 proposal before June 11, 2019 using the BIH application portal.
- Applicants of selected Track 1 or Track 2 projects will be invited to pitch their proposals late August 2019 in front of an expert committee.
- Funding decision will be made in early September 2019.
The exact dates will be communicated in due time
- Information about SPARK Berlin (SPARK Berlin Information Packet_2019)
- Guides for applicants:
○ Track 1 (up to 50k€ for one year)
○ Track 2 (more than 50k€ for up to two years)
- Signature page