BIH Cytometry Core
The Flow & Mass Cytometry Core Facility 'BIH Cytometry Core' offers expert service and state-of-the-art equipment for multi-parameter cell analysis and high-speed cell sorting.
A close cooperation with the research groups enables the joint development of new technologies, which can then be made available to the users of the core unit. Together with the users of the Core Facility new protocols are developed on demand and tested for integration into the Core Facility.
The Core Facility is open to all scientists (Charité, BIH, other academic research institutions, industrie). All project specific personnel and material resources exceeding the basic funding are covered by usage fees.
- independent usage of instruments
- user training
- staff-operated / service
Mass Cytometry (Helios & Hyperion)
- staff-operated & independent usage
- user training
- labelling of antibodies with metal isotopes
Please note the official "Leistungskatalog", indicating rates / services.
Technologies - Equipment: Flow Cytometry
Flow cytometry allows for the analysis of cells within a heterogeneous sampleon the single cell level for a multitude of parameters at a high throughput. Cells can also be sorted for further analysis, e.g. in vitro experiments or sequencing. Cell sorting can be performed in bulk or single cells into 96-well plates/ 384-well plates.
- Cell Sorting
FACSAriaII SORP "Calliope"
- Cell Analysis
LSRII SORP "Melpomene"
MACSQuant "Erato" (only for S2 projects)
Instrument configurations: see OpenIris (requires login)
Technologies - Equipment: Mass Cytometry
Flow Cytometry and Mass Spectrometry fell in love and a new technology was born: Mass Cytometry, the best of both worlds.
As in conventional flow cytometry, cells within a heterogeneous sample are analysed on the single cell level for a multitude of parameters. However, instead of using fluorochrome-labelled antibodies to bind to the antigen of interest and being limited to the number of spectrally resolvable fluorochromes, mass cytometry (CyTOF - cytometry by Time-Of-Flight) uses metal isotope-labelled antibodies that are analysed by their time-of-flight (TOF). This allows for the analysis of currently >40 parameters per cell and a deep profiling of phenotype and function of cells.Mass Cytometry is now also available for the analysis of tissue sections (imaging mass cytometry - IMC)
• Analyis of single cell suspensions
• Analysis of tissue sections - analysis of single cell suspensions
Imaging Mass Cytometer, IMCHyperion - analysis of tissue sections
All users must complete and sign one of the registration forms below. A first meeting is scheduled to discuss details of the project and needs in instrumentation and service.
- Flow cytometry projects (cell sorting and cell analysis) - Form
- CyTOF projects - Form
- IMC projects - Form
Please refer to the User Guidelines for more information.
CyTOF & Imaging Mass Cytometry
- If you are new to mass cytometry technology, please contact the BIH Cytometry Core Team at least three month before anticipated start of the experiments to schedule a project meeting.
- Please schedule a project meeting at least 6 weeks before the start of new projects.
- Booking of analysers, cell sorting and requests for mass cytometry is done online via the booking system openIris (login via charite email address or registration of a new account (external users)).
- Please check availability of instruments and service before starting your experiment.
Cell Analysis (flow cytometry):
- Users with access to the building have access to the instruments at all times.
- Users without access to the building may use the instruments for cell analysis only during working hours of the BCRT (8 am - 2 pm) due to safety reasons. Usage outside working hours has to be approved by and in presence of the BIH Cytometry Core staff.
Cell Sorting & Mass Cytometry:
Hours of operation:
- Monday, 3.30 pm - 6.00 pm (no CyTOF time available)
- Tuesday, 10.00 am - 9.00 pm
- Wednesday, 10.00 am - 9.00 pm
- Thursday, 10.00 am - 9.00 pm
- Friday, 10.00 am - 4.30 pm
Usage outside these hours and on weekends can be arranged upon request by way of exception.
Imaging Mass Cytometry:
- upon request
Please note for usage of (Imaging) Mass Cytometry:
Before starting any experiment please wait for confirmation of your requested date and time by the BIH Cytometry Core. Availability of time can depend on the type and number of samples you want to analyse and starting time might be adapted to other users requesting the service for the same day.
Dr. Désirée Kunkel
Head of BIH Cytometry Core
Flow and Mass Cytometry Specialist
Tel: +49 (0)30 450 639 446
Fax: +49 (0)30 450 539 902
Dr. Jaqueline Keye
+49 (0)30 450 -539 445 /-639445
Dr. Franziska Schmidt
+49 (0)30 450 -539 445 / -639445
- Flow & mass cytometry platform and forum
www.cytometry.de (german flow cytometry community)
www.cyto.purdue.edu (international flow cytometry mailing list)
www.cytoforum.stanford.edu (international mass cytometry/CyTOF forum)
- Online tutorials on Flow Cytometry