Lab Mall - Pediatric Pneumology and Immunology
Prof. Mall is one of the world’s most renowned experts in pediatric pulmonology. The primary focus of his research is the pathogenesis of cystic fibrosis and the development of novel therapies for this severe genetic condition that causes chronic progressive lung disease.
Prof. Marcus Mall is Director of the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pulmonology, Immunology and Intensive Care Medicine at Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin. The department runs a large Cystic Fibrosis Center for patients of all ages. The Center plays a central role in the provision of health care to patients from the Berlin metropolitan area and beyond, and currently treats over 300 children and adults with cystic fibrosis. Only recently, the first causal treatments for a subgroup of patients with cystic fibrosis have been developed – a milestone on the path to personalized medicine. Prof. Mall is planning to develop Charité’s Cystic Fibrosis Center into an internationally renowned center for personalized medicine and, in the medium term, transfer the success achieved in the field of cystic fibrosis to other chronic lung diseases. As patients with advanced lung disease often require lung transplants, Prof. Mall is also hoping to expand the Lung Transplant Program.
Innovative treatment strategies developed in the research laboratory will be tested in early phase clinical trials to accelerate the development of novel therapies and advance individualized therapy for children and adolescents with chronic lung diseases. Prof. Mall also aims to develop new non-invasive procedures for the diagnosis of lung diseases.
- Sermet-Gaudelus, Isabelle; Clancy, John P; Nichols, David P et al.: Antisense oligonucleotide eluforsen improves CFTR function in F508del cystic fibrosis. J Cyst Fibros. 2019;18( 4):536-42.
- Sommburg, Olaf; Helling-Bakki, Astrid; Alrajab, Abdul et al.: Assessment of Suspected Vascular Rings and Slings and/or Airway Pathologies Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging Rather Than Computed Tomography. Respiration. 2019;97( 2):108-1.
- Stahl, Mirjam; Joachim, Cornelia; Wielpütz, Mark O et al.: Authors' response: Letter to the Editor 'Comparison of lung clearance index determined by washout of N2 and SF6 in infants and preschool children with cystic fibrosis'. J Cyst Fibros. 2019;18( 3):e28-e29.
- Mall, Marcus A; Hwang, Tzyh-Chang; Braakman, Ineke: Cystic fibrosis research topics featured at the 14th ECFS Basic Science Conference: Chairman's summary. J Cyst Fibros. 2018;17( 2S):S1-S4.
- Graeber, Simon Y; Dopfer, Christian; Naehrlich, Lutz et al.: Effects of Lumacaftor-Ivacaftor Therapy on Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Function in Phe508del Homozygous Patients with Cystic Fibrosis. Am J Resp Crit Care. 2018;197( 11):1433-42.