Workshop content and goals
„If only my voice and body could only communicate what I am clearly thinking!“
Integral to voice and body training is the central idea that physical and vocal dynamics are connected to the speaker’s motivation and to the importance of the information being communicated. The trainer has a professional theatre background, which is a unique benefit for the participants to help identify the verbal challenges of each speaker, giving attention to breath, articulation, intonation, volume, modulation and tempo. Training is given to improve non-verbal aspects such as gesture, positioning, distance, eye contact and relationship with media.
- Intensive exercises to identify vocal and physical inhibitions
- Strengthen and release tension in the voice and body
- Identify the dynamics between the voice and body by connecting the upper and lower hemispheres of the body
- Make conscious vocal choices in the delivery of the presentation to communicate each idea with clarity and precision
- Use eye contact to make points and to underline key ideas with fluid gestures
- Explore a dynamic use of space and how to construct an architecture of ideas in the space
- Adopt strategies to use the potential of the technical equipment and physical objects
Trainer input will provide the opportunity to gain new insights in effective communication and learn how to present yourself, in particular as a women scientist, more effectively and to make the best impression and strongest impact.
Participants monitor their improvement and implement feedback through active role-play exercises in which they present themselves.
About the trainer
Julie Stearns is a professional trainer and coach and is also a theater director and actress and university lecturer. She has over 20 years experience as a free-lance director and actress in schools, universities, theatres and organizations in America and Germany. As a trainer and coach, Julie focuses on providing hands-on experience for academics and professionals in order to improve their overall speaking and presentation skills, as well as improving fluency, accuracy and style of speech communication. Website