How are you doing? Academic life is a precarious one for many, for researcher but also for the staff supporting them. The COVID crisis has exacerbated this experience significantly. This pandemic has brought many of our work and lifestyle choices into sharp focus. People are starting to question their purpose and where they find meaning in their lives.
If you feel stressed at work or due to family responsibilities, try to free-up a bit of time for self-care and attend the well-being webinar series. You will find strategies on how to navigate during these uncertain times, while holding close to your values and goals in your life.
The webinar series is provided by the Life Science Community of Practice for Gender Equality under the umbrella of the H2020 project ACT. BIH is a project partner in this Community of Practice and we are happy to be able to offer you some spots in the webinars.
45 min presentation + 15 min Q&A
Please register for the individual webinars here (institute BIH). Deadline for registration is always Friday before the event. The participation is free of charge. You will get a link for participation after your registration.
Desiree Dickerson (PhD) is a clinical psychologist who specialises in the mental health and well-being of the research community. As a former postdoc in the neurosciences, Desiree works globally with universities, lab groups, and academics in the pursuit of a healthier, sustainable approach to research.
She has also contributed to the dialogue around mental health and well-being in academia through pieces on imposter syndrome, grad school mental health and a recent one on Mental health strategies during COVID. Her website: https://desireedickerson.com/
# 1 Navigating Uncertainty During COVID Times (30 November 2020, 13-14h)
- Give yourself permission (to be where you are and feel what you feel!).
- Set a solid foundation.
- Navigate uncertainty and worry.
- Make micro-changes to maintain a solid emotional and mental foundation.
- Fill your bucket when life is constantly emptying it.
# 2 Taming the Inner Critic (14 December 2020, 13-14h)
- Explore how your mindset and the mental models you hold shape your thoughts, your mood, and your choices, and your productivity.
- Address the critical inner voices that drive perfectionism, imposter syndrome, and self-doubt that sabotage your motivation and enjoyment for your work.
- Learn how to shift your mindset in order to create more mental space and energy to think, create, be present, and thrive.
# 3 Shifting the Spotlight (18 January 2021, 13-14h)
- Using our values as a compass.
- Identifying and playing to our strengths.
- Shifting the spotlight, seeing the light in the cracks.
- Connection in a time of isolation.
- Supporting others.
# 4 Productivity During COVID Times (1 February 2021, 13-14h)
- How to create a routine during times of constant change.
- Learn to ride the productivity wave (especially when it feels like a trickle).
- Create a rhythm that works for you, rather than against you.
- Navigate the balancing act of families and research.
- Plan to be (realistically) productive – learn to build useful to-do lists!
- Using breaks to optimise efficiency.
Acknowledgement: The webinar series is provided by the Life Science Community of Practice for Gender Equality under the umbrella of the H2020 project ACT. This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 788204.