The BIH Center for Transforming Biomedical Research
QUEST – Quality | Ethics | Open Science | Translation
QUEST strives to increase the value of biomedical research at BIH and beyond.
To overcome the roadblocks in translational medicine: Increasing the value and impact of biomedical research by maximizing the quality, reproducibility, generalizability, and validity of BIH research.
To create an awareness of the need to rethink biomedical research and to initiate a culture change in academic biomedicine.
- Quality assurance: We promote compliance of preclinical as well as clinical research with standards and guidelines on design, conduct, analysis and reporting.
- Education: We develop and implement training and teaching resources on experimental and study design, methods to reduce bias, new modes of publishing, the digital footprint of academics, as well as open science.
- Open Science: We improve the accessibility and transparency of BIH research and its results through Open access and Open data.
- Meta-Research: We identify opportunities for improving research practice and obtain evidence for the impact of its activities through ‘research on research’.
- Rewards and incentives: We develop, implement, and assess the impact of novel indicators incentives and metrics to complement the current system for rewarding researchers, appropriating funding and awarding academic degrees.
- Research for and with the public: We foster public outreach and public involvement in BIH research.
- Bioethics of translation: We implement innovative, scientifically informed policies and training modules for research quality and human protections.
- Think tank: We act as advisors to stakeholders in biomedicine from funders to politics.
The QUEST Center includes the BIH Biomedical Innovation Academy (BIA).