Charité/BIH Virtual Research Environment (VRE) – a module for the Health Data Platform (HDP)
The Virtual Research Environment (VRE) integrates with the Charité Health Data Platform systems (HDP) and extends its functionalities. The HDP is developed within the BIH Translation Hub Digital Medicine. It is responsible for ingesting patient data from the Charité hospital and making it available for use in research. It is made up of many different components including a data lake, a clinical data zone and a research data zone.
The goal of the VRE is to make it easier for researchers to find and securely access data and use it in innovative ways. It will extend the Health Data Platform by providing:
- workflows for radiologic imaging data
- a model for cataloguing data and making it easier to find
- workbenches for modelling, simulating and analyzing data and
- a portal that is open also for external users who do not belong to Charite
- interoperability with international data commons like those developed under the European Open Science cloud, for example the Virtual Brain Cloud or the Human Brain Project.
We follow the FAIR guiding principles for scientific data management - Findability Accessibility Interoperability Reusability. We want to ensure that this development is open and accessible to all clinicians and scientists at Charité and BIH so we can solve today's pressing medical challenges together!